Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547 US
The circulating nurse is a registered nurse responsible for coordinating and managing the care of patients during surgical procedures. They ensure the safety and comfort of the patient, maintain a sterile environment in the operating room, and assist the surgical team in various capacities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patient Preparation:
- Verify patient identity, surgical site, and procedure.
- Educate patients and families about the surgical process and answer their questions.
- Ensure the patient's safety and comfort before and after the surgery.
- Operating Room Setup:
- Prepare and organize the operating room with sterile instruments, equipment, and supplies.
- Verify the functionality of surgical equipment and devices.
- Maintain aseptic technique throughout the procedure.
- Assistance During Surgery:
- Assist the surgical team by passing instruments, sutures, and other supplies as needed.
- Maintain an accurate count of surgical instruments and supplies to prevent foreign body retention.
- Monitor the patient's vital signs and response to anesthesia.
- Document all aspects of the procedure, including the surgeon's instructions and any complications.
- Patient Advocacy:
- Advocate for the patient's needs and safety during the surgery.
- Ensure the surgical team follows proper infection control protocols.
- Address any concerns or issues that arise during the procedure.
- Maintain clear communication with the surgical team, including surgeons, anesthesiologists, and scrub nurses.
- Relay pertinent information about the patient's condition to the recovery room staff.
- Post-Operative Care:
- Assist with transferring the patient to the recovery room.
- Provide post-operative care instructions to the patient and family.
- Hand over care responsibilities to the post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) or recovery room nursing staff.
- Current and valid registered nurse (RN) license.
- BLS (Basic Life Support) and ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) certification.
- Previous experience in perioperative nursing is preferred.
- Knowledge of surgical procedures, aseptic technique, and infection control.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work in a fast-paced, high-stress environment.
Meet Your Recruiter
Pamela is a Certified Recruiter with over 25 years of experience in human resources and recruiting. She has a MBA in Human Resources Management and a Bachelors of Science in Psychology. Pamela has skills in human resources, recruiting, and employee relations, and she is passionate about finding the best talent for the healthcare industry.
Her competencies include sourcing, screening, interviewing, negotiating, and hiring candidates, as well as maintaining positive relationships. She is focused on helping candidates find the career they love.